Historic Homes Tour
Looking for old pictures. Anyone who has a photo of houses from the past and would like them on our webpage, please send to our email address.
This past year's Historic Homes Tour was a great success. If you missed out on it, please take the time to make a driving tour using this information.
1. 1029 Sheridan Street, 1900-1910: This two-story frame foursquare features a hip roof him dormer, a hip roof entry porch on the left supported by square posts, shutters, exposed rafters, and purling. It was recently remodeled by homeowners who came here because of the film industry, and the home has been featured in a recent issue of The Form News and the 2000 Highland Restoration Association's Holiday Home Tour.
2. 1019 Boulevard Street, 1900-1910: This one-story frame Queen Anne cottage features a hip roof, tripped dormer, and a gabled projection on the right side with a three-sided bay underneath. You'll notice that the porch on the left wraps around the side of the house and is supported by Tuscan columns. Originally, the front porch wrapped around the entire front of the home, and a door from the master bedroom opened onto the porch. Inside the home, there were 4 working fireplaces and 3 very large closets in the attic made entirely of cedar. Most of the flooring in the home is original. The original owners of the home were S.J. Bowman and Demple Whited Bowman, who was a clerk at the Commercial National Bank downtown, and the home was built around 1907.
3. 1053 Boulevard Street, 1900-1910: This one-story frame Classical Revival cottage has a side-facing gable roof, two segmented pediment-gabled dormers, and a centered, segmented pediment portico supported by Ionic columns. It also features modillion blocks and a sun room on the right side. Mrs. Angie Como, a widow of Desire Como, was the original owner of the home. In 2005, this home was severely damaged in a fire caused by a fryer in the kitchen. It was up for demolition, but it was saved, remodeled, and bought by its new owners this past year, and we are certainly glad that this charming home was saved!
4. 1062 Dalzell Street, 1900-1910: This partially remodeled home was first owned by T.A. and Catherine Whitten, who owned a paint company at 516 Spring Street. A one-story frame Queen Anne cottage with a multi-hip roof, a gable on the left, and wood-shake siding, this on-the-market home also has paired windows under its gable with a diamond-pattern upper sash and a full-front porch supported by Tuscan columns.
5. 1045 Dalzell Street, 1910-1914: This house first appeared in the city directory in 1910. It was built by R.S. and Helen Whitten. R.S. worked at Hearne Dry Goods as a decorator. He and his wife previously lived on Fannin Street. There were two other houses on Dalzell built by the Whitten family, the previously featured home and the other was on the lot that has now been adjoined to this property. The home that stood there was built by J.T. Whitten who worked at Stagg Clothing. It is believed that this is a Craftsman home; houses from the Craftsman line generally have numbers on the rafters or center post of the house, and while this house does have markings in those places it is impossible to know for certain that they are numbers. The house is a one-story frame bungalow with side-facing gable roof, front-facing gable projection, and a full-front porch supported by coursed brick piers.
6. 819 Robinson Place, 1910-1914: Known as "The Hardy House," this home was built by Judge George W. Hardy, Sr., who served as Mayor of Shreveport from 1932-1934. Later, the home was purchased by Thomas W. Long who used the house as the offices for Reader Railroad. The Reader Railroad's steam-powered locomotive is the last known working steam-locomotive and has been featured in movies including There Will be Blood and the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. While homeowners report no ghoulish tales about their charming house, the ABC movie, The Initiation of Sarah, a film about a college girl who uses magic against a rival sorority, was also filmed in this house. In terms of architecture, this two-story frame, neo-classical house has a hip roof, a two-story pedimental portico supported by Ionic columns on brick bases, a crest in tympanum, a dentils' balcony with a turned-post balustrade, supported by scrolled brackets, and a wings set back on the right and left.
7. 853 Robinson Place,1904: The McAneny House was built in 1904 and is a late example of a Queen Anne cottage. Despite a few minor modifications inside the house, the exterior retains much of its original appearance, including the magnificent curved porch. It is believed that this house may have been built by the owner of the home at 857 Robinson as a wedding gift for his daughter, but this is unconfirmed.
8. 825 Wilkinson Street, 1910-1914: This two-story frame foursquare has a hip roof, tripped dormer, balustrade, and full-front porch supported by Tuscan columns. The home has been renovated several times. The current homeowner has restored the wood floors, and the house has its original windows.
9. 822 Kirby Place, 1910-1914: This recently sold two-story frame foursquare features a hip roof, tripped dormer, and a full-front L-shaped porch supported by rusticated concrete block piers. The home was built in 1914 on two lots in what was then the Freeman Place subdivision. The previous owner, an 87 year old retiree, purchased the home in 1982 but had to move into a retirement community this year. She reports that there have not been many alterations from the home's original state. Its interior features French doors and two sets of staircases, one from the kitchen and one from the living room, that go up to the four upstairs bedrooms.
10. 916 Kirby Place, 1910-1914: This house was built by A.C. Steve for his sister, who wanted to move here from New Orleans. The house is unusual because it is literally all windows with very little wall space. This was because Steere's sister had tuberculosis, and it was thought that fresh air was good for TB patients. It is a two-story foursquare with a hip roof and a tripped dormer. It has a full-front porch, with balustrades, that wraps around the right side.
11. 910 Kirby Place, 1910-1914: This two-story frame foursquare was built by Ray Aden, a banker who built four houses on Kirby. Architecturally, it features a hip roof, tripped dormer, and a full-front porch supported by Tuscan columns. The right half of the porch is screened-in, and the front door has a diamond pane-pattern side and corner and transom lights. This same pattern is repeated in the upper sashes of windows and French doors.
12. 2611 Fairfield Avenue, 1911: The stately Dr. G. W. Robinson House was built in 1911 by physician and real estate developer George W. Robinson who renamed adjoining Fifth Street "Robinson Place." This is a fine example of eclectic Edwardian Arts and Crafts style. Originally, the home had a roof of Spanish barrel tile. The home still features much of the original woodwork, and a Tiffany's window. Dr. Robinson died in the house around five years after it was built, and, as was tradition at the time, his body was displayed in the home until his burial several days later. The current owners bought the home in 1997, and while most of the reports of "spooky" events have been reported by a guest who did not realize that many of the lights were on a timer, there have been a few unexplainable phenomena: candles have fallen off of mantles in two different rooms of the house, and mysterious noises have been heard which sometimes sound like voices.
13. 2439 Fairfield Avenue, 1905: This two-story Queen Anne house was built in 1905 by Nathaniel ratcliff. His daughter, Irene, who was in the 7th grade when the home was build, lived here until she was 93. Miss Irene never married nor had any children. She moved into an assisted living and the house sat empty for 3 years before the current owner Jimmy Harris purchased the home and did the restoration work. "A Bed & Breakfast" opened here in August 1990. Miss Irene made a few visits back after the restoration was complete and was very pleased with all the work that had been performed to maintain her long-time home. Miss Irene would often tell Jimmy stories of when the house was built: at that time, this was the third house on the left coming from downtown and behind the house was nothing but cow pastures. Miss Irene died on her 99th birthday, July 17, 1992, the exact same day that Jimmy's daught Jacqueline was born. Architecturally, the home features a hip roof, a large gabled dormer at the right, a dormer with fish scale wood shakes, and a full two-tier porch that wraps around the right side of the house. Its porch is supported by paired square posts on brick bases, and there is a pedimental entry at the left.